The Richards Herald

• March 2Publication will resume in September 2018

• March 1Richards last day of school is May 25

• March 1The 2018-19 school year will begin Aug. 15

Victory Win!

The Boys Varsity Volleyball season has ended with a 7-2 win in the SSC and 24-14 lead overall.

Michel Ortega playing in the game against Argo. Victory was lead with the win for The  Richards Bulldogs

Michel Ortega playing in the game against Argo. Victory was lead with the win for The Richards Bulldogs

Victory Views

Victory Views

Shawnnika Williams, Staff Writer

The Richards Volleyball team has started and ended well

The team has a lead of 24-14 overall and 7-2 in the South Suburban Conference.

“I’ve been playing volleyball since freshman year and the rest of my high school years. Coming back from an injury and getting 12 kills to win my first game back vs Eisenhower was the best feeling ever. My motto from being on the team is to trust the process. Keep working and give it all you got. You’ll eventually get to the skill level you’ll want to be as long as you stay dedicated (including in the off season). Although I love volleyball, I will be playing soccer in college.
I’ve learned that not everything comes easy and you must work really hard at times to get what you want,” said the signing out senior Michel Oretga.

They were recently led in victory during their senior night by Alex Coasta with 17 kills, Rafal Czech with 24 assists, Mike Ortega with 7 kills, Steven Serrano with 4 kills and 3 aces, and Jason Kargol with 1 kill and 12 digs.

“I have been playing volleyball since I was in fifth grade. I have only played this sport for two years in highschool. One of the most memorable moments in this season of volleyball would be when I had my most kills in a game which was 20 and that was versus Shepard. I feel like that was my best performance out of all of this year’s highlights. I miss out on a lot of activities with my friends and family because of my training for this sport and practices, but I handle it like anyone else would. My advice to all younger players in high school is to keep working hard at the sport. Keep calm during all situations, even if you have to serve on game point, or score a touchdown to win the game. Just stay calm. I hope to continue playing volleyball in college because it’s a fun sport. When you bounce a ball, that feeling you get when the crowd and bench go crazy, it just makes you feel like a beast. I have learned a lot from being on this team. I learned how you have to like your teammates and from hanging out with them a lot, you gain trust and chemistry with them. My expectations for the next season is to break the kill record for Richards Boys Volleyball” says sophomore Alex Costa.