The Richards Herald

• March 2Publication will resume in September 2018

• March 1Richards last day of school is May 25

• March 1The 2018-19 school year will begin Aug. 15

Batters Up!

The Richards Varsity Baseball team has finally won against long time rivalry school, Shepard during the SSC championships.

Arton pitching in his last game at Richards High School. The senior has had its farewells with the field.

Victory Views

Victory Views

Shawnnika Williams, Staff Writer

This 2017-2018 school year baseball team has had a good start. Although the season has had a few run ins with the weather, they’re doing better than ever now.

“Out of all of my years coaching baseball, even playing baseball, this has been some of the most terrible weather that I’ve possibly experienced. We started the season off with snow still coming and after the snow we’ve gotten nothing but thunderstorms. We try to take advantage of most of the good days that we do get,” said head coach Brian Wujek.

Despite the weather the Bulldogs clinched at least a tie for the SSC title with their thrilling 11-10 win over SSC rival Shepard.

The Bulldogs staged the comeback Bulldogs after being down 8-1 in the bottom of the fifth and 10-5 in the bottom of the seventh.

The Bulldogs rallied with six runs in the final frame to win the game.

While the season is coming to an end on a high note, many players will miss their time on Richards’ field.

“I have been playing baseball since I was 5 and I’ve also been playing all 4 years of high school.
My most memorable moment of 2018 season was the Lemont game and I was on fire the whole game. Most of my friends play baseball too so I don’t really miss out on anything. I have learned a lot from being on Richards baseball team. I learned so much about baseball that I never even knew existed and I learned a lot from my coaches about being a better person overall. Although, I will not be continuing my baseball career in college, I would suggest to any incoming player or and future player to keep your grades up and play every game like it is your last,” says the signing out senior Arton Bislimi.

Other team members are looking forward to playing in college.

“I have been playing this sport since I was about 5 years old. I’ve played high school baseball Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior year so far. This year I had an inside the park homerun against Hillcrest. Playing baseball and committing my life to it doesn’t bother me because all of my friends understand my commitment to baseball and how much it means to me. Good words of advice I’ve gotten was to slow the game down and clear your mind. If I have the chance to continue this sport in college I would love too. This team has reached me a lot about chemistry. Having good chemistry with your team can help you out a long way. You can have the best team without chemistry and not be successful because of the teammates not connecting with each other”, says junior Cody Drier.