Physics Teacher Wins Award

Back to Article
Back to Article

Physics Teacher Wins Award

Richards science teacher Sheri Caine accepts congratulations from Dr. David Crowther, the president of the National Science Teachers Association. Ms. Caine attended the NSTA convention in Atlanta recently to receive the Northrop-Grumman Excellence in Engineering Education Award, the largest financial prize in engineering education in the United States.

photo courtesy of Mrs. Caine

photo courtesy of Mrs. Caine

photo courtesy of Mrs. Caine

Robert Esquivel, Staff Writer

Over 1,000 teachers applied for the Northrop Grumman Foundation Excellence in Engineering award and, Ms. Caine who is a physics and chemistry teacher here at Richards won the award.

“It was amazing,” said Ms. Caine who won the award along with a cash prize of $10,000.

Ms. Caine already knew what she was going to do with the money, she said “$5,000 for 3D printers for my students, $2,000 to attend the NSTA national conference, and $3,000 cash that I am putting toward my graduate school tuition.”

She admires her high school chemistry teacher, Ms. Bennett, who was a great impact on her winning the award. “She stayed after school to teach me the honors curriculum even though I was only in regular chemistry. Ms. Bennett believed that I was capable of being a scientist even though I started high school in pre-algebra and I’m dyslexic,” said Ms. Caine.

She also incorporates social skills into her teaching, “I’m also a social, constructivist at heart and believe that students need to form their own knowledge based on their own interactions with the environment. For students, this means that we do a lot of labs and I expect students to discuss their findings with the class to make scientific arguments and create understanding on their own with my guidance,” said Ms. Caine.

Ms. Caine is not done yet, “I’m working on my doctorate and hope to finish in 2021 and I just submitted a children’s book for publication that I’m hoping it gets accepted.”

Ms. Caine advises students to “Bring a calculator, charged iPad, and an open mind every day” when taking her class.