The Richards Herald

• March 2Publication will resume in September 2018

• March 1Richards last day of school is May 25

• March 1The 2018-19 school year will begin Aug. 15

Big Business

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big Business

Business education room.

Business education room.

Business education room.

Business education room.

Shawnnika Bianca Williams, Staff writer

Richards High School offers a broad amount of classes for students. In our Business education program, entrepreneurship is one of them. Entrepreneurship is offered for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. It is for basic jobs and career development areas. Basic job instruction includes salesmanship, advertising and marketing functions. The program is to prepare students for future entrepreneurship they may encounter in their lifetime.

This semester students were to do a big project business plan. Students oils build any type of business whether it’s a product or service. Several students stay in the area of services since they are easy to create and don’t really need a physical location for their business while other actually create a product which they have to have space for manufacturing. The focal point of the Business Plan Project is to help students think critically and like a business owner so they can make a profit. Students are not graded on the amount of profit they could make with the business but rather how they have developed the business plan and how it relates to the content in the class.

Students came up with many different projects Ideas from apps, to mobile barbershops and hair salons, to animal rescue workshops, much more.

“This class is beneficial to students because so many students have ideas to make businesses better or ideas on new businesses but they don’t know how to go about making their ideas a reality. In this class they complete a Business Plan, taking an idea and developing a business, which they can actually take to an investor to ask them to help start the business”, commented Business education teacher Mr. James Soderstrom.

Some students also have gotten very far with the big business program plan. They actually stuck to the plan and made it happen.

“I actually have a former student who took this class who now has several game apps on the Google Play Store which he used my class as the business background and a degree in technology to help him move towards his goal of being a wealthy business owner. As a result of this, Mr. Holben and I are going to be working together with his App Development class and my Entrepreneurship class to help students build a business plan while his students will be building on their technology skills”, also commented by Mr. James Soderstrom.

If your would like to be apart of Entrepreneurship and learn the skills of what it takes to be an entrepreneur make student you’re speaking with your counselor to be apart of something very great that can maybe get you far in life. Of course, you must take intro to business first.