The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• October 10PSAT Testing 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11 at Richards High School

• October 10Southland Model Train Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15 in the Main Gym

• October 10District 218 College and Career Fair - 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the Adminstrative Building

The CHSD218 app is available

Mrs. Lehner's phone showing the CHSD218 app. It is identical to the web page, but with the ability to send notifications.

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz, Staff writer

The CHSD218 app is available, and it is an extension of the website. It also allows people to opt in to push notifications.

“The app is an extension of our website.  It provides an optimized view of the website that is easy to navigate on phones.  The app also makes it easy to access the website since people can simply tap on the app icon from their phone home screen.  One feature the app does add to our website is that it enables us to send push notifications to people who have installed the app.  For example, we could send a push notification if school was canceled due to severe weather,” Director of Educational Technology Mr. Timothy Prost said.

Promotion of the app has begun, but won’t be big until next school year.

“We’ve started by promoting the app on our website and social media.  We plan to continue to promote the app to students and parents next school year during school meetings and events,” Mr. Prost said.

It did not cost extra, and does not have to be updated separately from the site.

“The app is basically a convenient version of our website so we do not need to update the app separately from the website.  When we launched our new website last summer, we improved how we update and provide information on the site.  This will also allow our app to provide updated news and information.  The app was made by Edlio, the same company that built our website.  It was included with our website and did not cost any extra money,” Mr. Prost said.

The app is available on iPhone and Android devices.

“The chsd218 app is now available in the iPhone and Android Google Play store. I wonder if many kids know about it,” Applications Specialist Mrs. Susan Lehner said.

Notifications can and will be sent out for events and emergencies.

“Our new website is already mobile friendly, but people now have the ability to receive push notifications on their phones. It’s their choice. I downloaded it. It looks like whenever they post news, it will probably say something. They post things as they are happening, such as prom. So, it all depends on what is going on in schools.”