The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• September 8Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. on May 23 to May 25 at Richards High School

• September 8Senior Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. May 16 to May 18 at Richards High School

• September 8Graduation May 25 at Richards High School

Motaz Alzaghari: The next role model for the freshmen.

Motaz Alzaghari, junior, is a man involved in many clubs and activities. Next year, he hopes to become a Bulldog Mentor

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz, Staff writer

Motaz Alzaghari is a junior that wants to be part of the Bulldog Mentor program. He wishes to ensure the freshmen don’t miss anything important in high school.

“I would like to teach them what to do in all of high school, basically, because it goes pretty fast, and there’s a lot of things to do, so I would like to point out the things they should be going through and doing, like joining sports, joining clubs, and all sorts of those things,” Alzaghari said.

Alzaghari doesn’t know who nominated him, but has some guesses.

“I have no idea who nominated me. I can give a few guesses about some of the teachers because I have a close relationship with everyone, and I tend to talk to them a lot, so they know my personality and character quite a lot. It could be Ms. Groff, Ms. Nuskiewicz, Ms. Swanson… I’m in class officers, so she knows a lot about me, especially since it’s been two years now,” Alzaghari said.

Along with class officers, Alzaghari has played in many sports and is very active in clubs.

“I played in three sports this year. I played soccer, wrestling, and I’m doing tennis right now. I’m in student council, class officers, and I also volunteer at Christ Hospital on Sundays, four hours each week,” Alzaghari said.

Along with his experience came awards. His success extends to every sport he does.

“I’ve been pretty successful. In every sport, I would achieve a lot of things, I would achieve rewards and honors, and every year I work on my skills. For wrestling, I actually achieved an award for the MVP of the JV team. In soccer, I achieved an award for one of the best players on there, as well. In student council and class officers, we learn a lot of things, because they show you the background of events and activities in the school, so you see how it actually goes, and what the reality is of all the things happening. It makes you appreciate it more.”

Unlike who nominated him, Alzaghari knows exactly why he was chosen to be a mentor.

“The reasons they nominated me is because I pay attention in class, and I like to be very organized, and I try to help others with a lot of things. I want to be a doctor when I grow up, so helping others is something in my career. If someone needed help in my class, I would like to reach out to them and reach out to the community, and make a difference,” Alzaghari said.

Guidance is what Alzaghari observed from his old workroom.

“My old workroom? A lot of the seniors and juniors would try to explain everything and make sure we would stay on top of things, but also would do some fun events to keep up with the school. I remember them talking about Operation Snowball, and all those operations that stay with the community,” Alzaghari said.

His old workroom teacher was Ms. Swanson, which he remembers doing a great job.

“It was Ms. Swanson. She was actually pretty good. She would test the mentors and have them help out and do what they’re supposed to. She would explain a lot of things in detail, and would make it fun. She would give us time to work on something, if we had nothing to do that day, and she would give us games to play for a fun day or the last day. We would also watch movies, and she would point out what the whole theme was about,” Alzaghari said.

Workrooms made Alzaghari feel more belonging at Richards High School, and he wants to do the same thing for the freshmen next year.

“It was good to know the people in the school, to know the teachers and what they think about it. We got to do some fun events, and it was just good to feel like you’re a part of the school, to get into it, because if you come here as a freshman, you’re not seeing all the attention they give you, you might lose it and start to be lazy on things, but with a workroom, it kept you on track, and told you to do this, and work on your homework, stay on track, and all that,” Alzaghari said.

Dislikes came from the freshmen around Alzaghari, rather than the teacher or mentors.

“Anything that I would dislike is not necessarily from the teacher, it’d be from the cooperation of the students only. So, there were bad students that didn’t like to do anything all the time, and even mess up the whole class. Those are the moments I didn’t like, but mostly, it was pretty evened out,” Alzaghari said.

Rather than giving commands, Alzaghari wants to have people want to participate.

“Instead of trying to force people to be quiet or anything, I would like to do some fun things that would make them want to listen to me and respect me in some way. To have a close relationship with them, to have fun, and do what we’re supposed to do at the same time,” Alzaghari said.

Alzaghari hopes to be a role model for the freshmen in every aspect possible.

“I want to be a role model for them in every way. In my education, in my organization, and in life in general, so they would work on their communication skills, work on their schoolwork, and work to reach out to people. I’m planning to join NHS next year, which focuses a lot on community work and how they help people around there to give and to share,” Alzaghari said.

Read more about the program here, where the mentor program is looked at in depth.