The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• September 8Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. on May 23 to May 25 at Richards High School

• September 8Senior Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. May 16 to May 18 at Richards High School

• September 8Graduation May 25 at Richards High School

New Coach, New Season

The girls water polo working as a team, with the new coach.

The Varsity Water Polo posed to take a photo after their victory after they defeated Stagg.

Photo curtsey Coach Gorski

Ayah Kurdi, Staff Editor

Photo curtsey of Coach Gorski

Varsity Water Polo, carries a Kayak to strengthen their legs, a new strategies from the new coach.

The 2017 girls water polo saw a big change with the hiring of the new head coach Lisa Gorski.

Gorski was “ecstatic and nervous” when she got the call informing her that she got the job.

“I was so happy to be given the opportunity to get back in to water polo and coach the girls. But I hadn’t been around the sport for a while, so figuring out how to create a training plan that would lead to success, and managing practice time for different skills and player, was going to be a challenge,” said Coach Gorski.

The previous girls had skills that Coach Lisa doesn’t know of, when asked what shocked her the most from the girls on the first day of coaching,

“I was asked to fill some big shoes to step in for Coach Stu this season, so I was shocked at how accepting the girls were of me. On day one, we sat down and discussed my expectations of them and how things will be throughout the season, and were extremely understanding and willing to please. You don’t see that too often when a new coach comes in and changes things. My coaching and training style is a little different than what they’re used to, so I was honestly surprised at how well they did and how in shape they were on day one. They continue to surprise me every day with what they can accomplish,” said Coach Gorski.

Gorski can’t pinpoint one thing as being her proudest achievement this season.

“Honestly, I don’t think I can pinpoint one thing. Every day I feel is an accomplishment. Seeing the girls faces after a big win. Or one of them executing something in a game after working on it in practice for weeks. Or finally accomplishing a goal they set for themselves in the beginning of the season. Or when things aren’t working in our favor during a game, they continue to stick together and keep each other up. The big wins and the winning streaks are great, buts it’s all those little things that make me feel accomplished,” said Coach Lisa.

The girls have been on a nine game winning streak before they lost to Schaumburg, 9-7 loss. Their record is 12-5.

“I like her, I think she’s given the program a newer and different insight on the sport. We have more wins this season than any season I’ve played,” said Senior Sarah Coffman, on the new coach this year.