The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• October 10PSAT Testing 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11 at Richards High School

• October 10Southland Model Train Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15 in the Main Gym

• October 10District 218 College and Career Fair - 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the Adminstrative Building

District 218 will implement a new 10 point grading scale for the 2017-2018 school year

The new grading standard will not include pluses or minuses.

The Grading Scale at surrounding schools. District 218 will change next year to match this.

Jenni Marie Schaal

Jenni Marie Schaal

Jenni Marie Schaal

Jenni Marie Schaal, Staff Editor

District 218 will introduce a new grading scale for the 2017-18 school year where As are 90 to 100 percent, Bs are 80 to 89 percent, Cs are 70 to 79, Ds are 60 to 69 percent and Fs are 59 percent and below.

“I believe this will give students more breathing room,” said Mr. Mike Jacobson, principal.

District Coordinator Dr. Sue Feeney had said the decision was finalized through the Board of Education and was swayed by the “importance grades hold” and is expected to have an “extremely positive” outcome.

“I feel this will provide equality and reliability in GPA reporting,” said Ms. Meaghan O’Shea, Richards counselor.

Jenni Marie Schaal
The new ten point grading scale to be implemented next year. This new grading scale will match with other school districts surrounding us.

The District’s unanimous decision to switch from the 9 point scale to the 10 point scale will go in effect at all schools in the District, including Richards. “Parents and student groups” have reviewed this decision beforehand and agreed this will be in best interest for students attending District 218 schools, Dr. Feeney said.

‘’I never understood why they changed it in the first place,” said Mr. Jacobson.

Several school districts surrounding District 218 have been using the ten point scale for several years now. Richards originally used the ten point scale but was switched to the nine point scale because of curriculum rewrites. Dr. Feeney said the new coordinators helped push this decision because it “will fit curriculum revisions” and “matches surrounding schools.”

This decision will also benefit students transferring between districts, making it easier to adjust.

As for the new 10 point scale, some adjustments may come later into the years. Curriculum Directors and Coordinators have “discussed the possibility of ‘pluses’ and ‘minuses’ being incorporated into the grading scale, but will be held off until further notice,” said Dr. Feeney.

What are your thoughts on the New Grading Scale?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “District 218 will implement a new 10 point grading scale for the 2017-2018 school year”

1. John Brodemus on May 1st, 2017 7:11 pm

Having taught science at HLR from 1990 to 2005, I applaud this move with the following concerns: since you have the use of electronic grade books, calculating grades is easy for calculating grades where the percentage can be determined by a percentage of correct out of possible. When grading writing assignments/projects, I utilized a system that permitted the use of pluses and minuses. ( 90, 91,92 for A-, 87,88,89 for B+, etc.). IMHO, telling a student whether they received a C-, C, or C+ gives a student a much better evaluation of their efforts.

Having taught the staff the use of the first electronic grade books in CHSD 218, I know that the social study and English teachers who used essays and a letter system struggled with a conversion to a numerical scale.

The grading scale should be clearly spelled out to the students on the weight given to homework, quizzes, test, projects. And the weight given to each component should be clearly stated.

Feel free to contact me at 630-554-3121 H. Or 630-308-3121 C to discuss further…

[Reply]

2. Dianne on May 2nd, 2017 2:40 pm

Given the lack of motivation I see in my students, they don’t need “breathing room.”

[Reply]

3. Dianne on May 2nd, 2017 2:40 pm

Breathing room will not address lack of student motivation.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• District 218 will implement a new 10 point grading scale for the 2017-2018 school year

News

Shadowing for Shadows!

News

No Lunch Period? No options…

News

College is So Last Year

News

The Courtyard Blues!

News

Maddi Maher

Features

Freshmen Get a Kick out of New IPad Experience at Richards!

News

One and Done – The first, and last, year using iPads

• News

The PSAT and SAT: Why do you need it?

News

Tardies, Dress Code Violations, and… iPads?

Features

Rage Against The Copy Machine – The iPad Revolution