The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• October 10PSAT Testing 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11 at Richards High School

• October 10Southland Model Train Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15 in the Main Gym

• October 10District 218 College and Career Fair - 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the Adminstrative Building

Older women are having healthier babies

Recent studies have shown that older women are having healthier babies. I agree with this research.

Pamela Perry

Alexa Burgos, Staff Writer

Pregnancy can be a beautiful thing whether you’re young or old. Some people believe that women should be getting pregnant at an early age because of complications the baby or mother can have during the pregnancy.

However, research is saying that women in their late 30s going into their early 40s have healthier babies.

Studies also say that children with an older mother were less likely to accidently injure themselves and a third less likely to be admitted to the hospital by the age of three.

Another benefit of having a child at an older age is that the child is more likely to have better emotional well-being and less likely to have conflict between parent and child.

Having a baby young or old has its pros and cons. If you have a baby when you’re young you have a lot more energy, and you’re more alert. But when you’re young you’re not as financially stable, you may or may not have a spouse, and you get frustrated more easily.

As women get older the odds of conceiving naturally decrease and even women who are able to conceive face increased risks of birth defects. Which is not entirely wrong, but as the years progress women are having children older and older.

Even though research may show older women do have pros for having baby’s there are also cons follow them too. Such as the older a mother gets the more likely she is to develop complications for herself and the baby, and once the baby is born she has to find the energy to care for a newborn and later a toddler, child and teenager. Since you’re older you can’t really do as much as you used to do in the old days.

Despite all of this, women should wait until they older to have children because they have more experiences in life in general and with children since they may already be aunts and uncles. After all, its scientifically proven.