The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• October 10PSAT Testing 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11 at Richards High School

• October 10Southland Model Train Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15 in the Main Gym

• October 10District 218 College and Career Fair - 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the Adminstrative Building

Strength/Cardio is an amazing class that has changed me greatly

Here is how the Strength/Cardio students work out: One person is there to ensure the lifter is safe. Justin Taylor (top) is the safeguard, and holds his hands just below the bar in case David Wade (bottom) fails his bench press.

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz

Alaric Ortiz, Staff Writer

Out of all my years of taking P.E. classes, I have never been satisfied with any of them. My fitness test scores just hovered above where they used to be year after year, being 40 on the pacer and 12 on the pushups, once 16. That all changed this year, though.

After taking Strength/Cardio, my expectations have been shattered 6 times over. I was expecting to run for a day and slightly build strength for a day, but this class has made my fitness test score for pushups more than double.

I used to be proud of 16 pushups at max, but now I can do 35 consistently. Of course, to see results like this I had to challenge my physical limits, but it reminds me of a quote from Unbroken, a novel by Laura Hillenbrand.

“One moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory.” Of course, it wasn’t actually one moment (it was many moments), nor will this last me a lifetime (if I don’t keep myself in shape outside of the class), but you get the idea.

As for my pacer test, I saw another great increase. I went from about 45 to 54, and +9 is an incredible score considering I saw +1 to +3 within the 3 years before Strength/Cardio.

This class has transformed me from a weakling to a competent lifter, and has inspired me to start visiting the gym. It seems I’m not alone, either. However, I should show what this class is, first.

“It’s a class with athletes and non athletes that enjoy or want to learn the proper way to work out and hopefully get into living a more healthier lifestyle. So, what I do is I like to teach them every little tidbit that’s out there right now about exercise; Muscular strength exercise, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, interval training, circuit training, so a lot of different things combined into one class, so when a student leaves, they can go to their own gym or sign up for a gym and not feel lost when they’re there,” Coach Mr. Bob Peck said.

Now that that’s out of the way, I talked with other students that also saw great changes in their performance. Our first one is Junior Justin Taylor.

“I took this class because I wanted to increase my strength. So far, I’ve been here about a semester and a half. I wasn’t able to select it my Sophomore year. They just didn’t allow me to pick it last year. At the start of the year, I could probably bench about 20, now probably somewhere around 55. Squat, I would say like 40 or 45, now like 70. Definitely with me, I need to go more on muscular strength: How much weight I can do, rather than how long I can do it, because doing it for a length of time I have no problem with, but doing heavier weights IS a problem,” Taylor said.

Junior Kevin Gardner was strong, but now he’s even better, and has gotten miles better with baseball, too.

“This is my first year in this class. My baseball coach wanted me here, he said it’d help with baseball. Hitting went up a lot. I was able to bench 225, and now I’m up to 275. It’s good, we really work out, you get good exercise every day. I recommend XSport Fitness because it’s big, and there’s a lot of things you can do,” Gardner said.

I really agree with what Junior Chris Rowane said. Much like I said earlier, this is the only class where you actually improve.

“I took it since first semester Sophomore year because I had no other choice, so I just took it, but I take it now because I like it, it’s not a bad class. I enjoy it. I couldn’t lift much, I was pretty weak, but I’ve progressed more and more. I don’t know the exact number, but before for bench, just maybe 25 on the sides, but now I can maybe do a plate and 25. A plate is 45 pounds. It’s more of a productive class than the other ones; the other ones you just run around and play games, but in this one you can get your body in better shape, which is better than the others, in my opinion. Especially as 8th period, it’s a good way to end the day. Y’know, get all the bull out of school and release all that energy and all your anger and whatever you have in your mind. Just release it all while you work out. I go to Charter Fitness, it’s a good gym. A lot of people go to it, so you see friends there,” Rowane said.

I really do love this class. It’s empowering to know that I am more than just a twig, and it feels great to be surrounded by people that think the same way about both me and themselves. To end it off, Mr. Peck offered some advice to newcomers.

“Start off slow. You don’t go into it at 100 miles an hour. Google is a great thing, the internet is great, just googling ‘workout,’ you can get a million different things, if you want something specific, google it, and watch the videos and learn, but you definitely start out small and work your way up. You gotta crawl before you walk, walk before you run,” Mr. Peck said.