The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• September 8Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. on May 23 to May 25 at Richards High School

• September 8Senior Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. May 16 to May 18 at Richards High School

• September 8Graduation May 25 at Richards High School

I disagree with Black History Month

A picture displaying photos of important historic figures, such as Rosa Parks (Bottom far-right) and Barack Obama (Middle top-left).

Alaric Ortiz, Staff Writer

A month spent reflecting on the accomplishments of people is perfectly fine. I enjoy history quite a bit myself. However, favoritism ruins the idea of a month dedicated to one race’s history.

Even if there was a history month for every small nationality, I would not be happy. This is because people would just choose to avoid certain history months that they are not interested in.

I speculate that personal celebration of Black History in the ratio of blacks to non-blacks is 9 to 1. Non-blacks tend to not care about the holiday.

I also think I agree with Morgan Freeman when it comes to this tradition.

“I don’t want a Black History Month. Black History is American History,” said Freeman.

I think a better alternative is to start recognizing it alongside all American achievements, much like even the original creator of the holiday says.

“What we need is not a history of selected races or nations, but the history of the world void of national bias, race hate, and religious prejudice,” said Carter G. Woodson, founder of Negro History Week (which later evolved into Black History Month).

I believe that there should be a history month for every continent. With this way, there is no racial selection about history. People could celebrate North American History Month, and that goes from the founding fathers to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Even if people got selective about which continental history month they celebrated, they would still be celebrating a more complete history.

Nowadays, black history isn’t as obscured as it was in the 1920s.

“Woodson created Negro History Week because black Americans and their accomplishments were largely left out of the educational curricula of that time,” said an article called ‘The Origin and Purpose of Black History Month,’ by Stacy Swimp.

Perhaps a continental history month isn’t even necessary if we have all racial histories naturally incorporated within the curriculum.

If the original purpose is fulfilled, should we keep trying to fulfill the original purpose? We can’t, it already happened! What more is there to it? Is there a new purpose?