The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• September 8Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. on May 23 to May 25 at Richards High School

• September 8Senior Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. May 16 to May 18 at Richards High School

• September 8Graduation May 25 at Richards High School

The best haunted houses to go to this fall

Actor from The 13th Floor.

Actor from The 13th Floor.

anonymous

anonymous

Actor from The 13th Floor.

Maya Arends, Staff Writer

1. Six flags, Fright Fest
  2. Statesville Haunted House
  3. The 13th floor, Chicago
  4. Midnight Terror, Oak Lawn
  5. Nightmare at the Terrace, worth

The best haunted house in the area would be Fright Fest, at Six Flags. The actors are much better at scaring their guests, their makeup is more professional, they put in a lot more effort and since they have a lot more funds, they can afford realistic and much better quality decorations compared to other haunted houses. They have multiple themes in the walkthrough which include a haunted toxic waste plantation, psychotic chainsaw men, dead pirates, Sirens, werewolves, clowns and many more. Admission is the entry fee and 15 additional dollars for the haunted house itself. ($40 for a fast pass to cut out the lines)

My second favorite would have to be Statesville Haunted Prison. Since Statesville is open all year long, their actors have plenty of experience, and since their building is specifically used for the purpose of being a haunted house, the decorations are very realistic and set up perfectly. I would recommend it to people who can handle being afraid, or are not scared very easily, because they do a great job. The theme is exactly what it’s called, a haunted prison. The prisoners are out of their cells and trying to capture you, and you have to escape. General admission is $30 or $45 for V.I.P.

Next up is The 13th Floor, in Chicago. It’s the biggest haunted house in the area, and has some of the best makeup artists and costume designers I’ve ever seen. The theme of the walkthrough is bloodlines and vampires, and you have to find a way to escape the building without getting “caught” by the actors. General admission is $26.99, $36.99 for fast pass.

The closest haunted house is located right here in our hometown of Oak Lawn. Midnight Terror is a nice haunted house for people who want to go to a haunted house they can handle, that isn’t as scary. Their actors are younger and not as trained, but they put in enough effort to do a good job. Their best aspect would be their ability to build up suspense and sneak up on you. Their funds aren’t very high, but they still manage to make the best of what they have, decoration-wise. Their theme for this year is a girl trying to escape abuse, and the rest of the town “changes” in the process of escape. General admission is $23 online, $25 at the door, and for V.I.P it costs $31 online, $35 at the door.

Last of all would be Nightmare at the Terrace in Worth, which is also located in close proximity. Their actors are also very young as well as Midnight terror’s actors. I would say their makeup and costume job isn’t the best, but the way they can build up suspense and their ability to stay in character gives them enough credibility to be considered “scary”. It’s a bit of a long walkthrough, which gives them the opportunity to create many different rooms, but they don’t have a set theme. Admission is $8.