The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• December 18No Resource Hour - Tuesday, December 19th

• December 6Winter Break - Mon, Dec 22nd to Mon, Jan. 8th

• December 6Periods 1 & 8 - Friday, Dec. 22nd

The Glory of October 31st

Includes a review of Scary Stories III: More Tales to Chill Your Bones

An illustration from the book Scary Stories III: More Tales to Chill Your Bones.

Alaric Ortiz, Staff Writer

It’s that wonderful time of the year where we get to have an excuse to obsess and drown ourselves in things related to the season! I assume we all love Halloween, yes?

There’s so many things to be excited about in October. I’m excited for video game events, my friends love the free candy, the only suckers are the adults that need to start getting extra work done this month. Yay for us in a few years!

Aside from the free candy we all get, there’s something else that makes this season great: The overall themes of fear and fright is what truly makes October beautiful, from harmless pranks to campfire stories.

Such as stories found in books like Scary Stories III, which is a compilation of scary stories (go figure). It’s really engaging, actually. The stories are short, longest being The Trouble with 6 pages.

Anyone can pick this thing up and just read a little. Each story has it’s unique little twist towards the end, and could give you even more entertainment value when you try predicting them.

It’s wonderful, and you can read it whenever. Waiting for others to finish their test? Go ahead and crack it open! You’d probably finish the whole thing by the time the exam is over, assuming you’re taking PARCC. Oh wait, they got rid of that…

The only real downside is the difficulty in building character that lies in each story. No story really has characters. Just a bunch of named people instead of colorful personalities, but characters are what a novel is for.

I have no idea what I’ll do on Halloween. I think I’ll just get some marshmallows and roast them over a fire and make s’mores with some buddies. Those very same buddies will go on without me to steal all of those bowls labeled “Take ONE!” in a mile radius.

Alternatively, I could shut myself inside and play video games all night long in the typical dark gamer room, but I don’t think I would be able to do that considering Halloween’s date placement is mean this year.

One last option I have is to go to a haunted house. Not happening. I’ve never really enjoyed myself at one of those things. I’d rather not deal with it (Translation: I’m a wuss please don’t hurt me).

I just realized this is a disappointingly not-so-scary opinion piece on Halloween… hmm… I guess I’ll have to fix that. I’ll just leave this here…

Click me if you dare.