The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• November 3Mathletes 4th Contest - Wed, Nov 8th 3:30 - 5:15pm

• November 3Girls Bowling Tryouts - Mon, Nov 13th, 3:30 - 5:15pm

• November 3AP Extended Day - Thurs, Nov. 9th, 3:30 - 5:15pm

Soccer at its finest

Julio Lopez Martinez enjoys the family feeling of the Richards Soccer team.

Nailea Godinez

Nailea Godinez

NaileaG, Staff Writer

Julio Lopez Martinez  is a current freshmen student attending Richards High School. He is a committed honors student who has goals of becoming an architect one day.

Meanwhile his mind set is on role with his education, he is a member of the JV soccer team. Lopez Martinez has played soccer since he was 4 years old as well as been apart of the “Oaklawn park district team” and the “Cultura y Deporte league”. This season, the JV soccer team has the determination alongside their admired coach, as Lopez Martinez explains.

“During the hard fall between Richards and Tinley, I could proudly state that we won it all for coach in the end. We were warned about the pressure on defense and the attackers position in the field. I play the defense position as a starter. I knew the tension was put on not just the team but for the defensive line as I myself was in” said Lopez Martinez.

If the thought of their being an extent amount of pressure wasn’t enough, imagine putting on the fact that it was the coach’s birthday. The team had its eye on the ball with the goal in front and the goal of bringing the victory for the coach. There was a inner celebration within the team with treats. Lopez Martinez explains, “It really surprised the coach!”.

“Happy Birthday coach Cunningham! Little late but all the same, this one goes out to you!,” stated Lopez Martinez for all the team.

“It’s a real fun relationship with the coach. It’s not the typical (follow what the coach says), there’s more to. I enjoy the joking with the team as a family,” Lopez Martinez said.

Lopez Martinez sees clearly that the coach has some bright ideas for the future. He feels as If his youth is an advantage in the experience for the present and the following up challenges.

“I think we’ll go pretty far. I see ourselves winning many of our games according to our teammates. Especially just looking at our veteran players. They boost our confidence and are always positive,” said Lopez Martinez.

Lopez Martinez has his head in the game with help from the strong force of the team. Alongside the coach that has the preparation for their season.