The student news site of Harold L. Richards High School

The Richards Herald

• September 8Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. on May 23 to May 25 at Richards High School

• September 8Senior Final Exams will be 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. May 16 to May 18 at Richards High School

• September 8Graduation May 25 at Richards High School

The Brave New World, The Bold Old Book.

A picture of the version of the book that the English II Honors kids had to read.

Alaric, Staff writer

Most students assigned Brave New World dismiss it as just another dystopian novel because of requirements to read it for class, but there’s more to this book than meets the eye.

The (understandable) reason many students disliked this book is because they had been given pop quizzes and the like on it. The problem is that if there aren’t any quizzes on the book, students wouldn’t read.

An article titled “They Haven’t Done the Reading. Again.” says that “70 percent of our students come to class having not done the assigned reading,” and they’re in an area that does not give quizzes for reading assignments.

Without being graded, what would the point be to even try doing the reading? Students think this way, and that disconnects them from their reading assignment without quizzes. With quizzes, students now HAVE to do the reading, and being tested on their reading skill could ruin a whole book for them. Assigned reading as a whole sounds like an entirely different problem, but I digress.

Let’s go over the cons of this book first, because this list of dislikes is small. First off, I didn’t like the introduction the most. It was great for setting the stage, but didn’t introduce any characters. Nobody in the introduction is mentioned later on in the book. There’s just a bunch of note takers, a tour guide and his director. I feel that only one other part of the book bothered me.

I hated it when the title of protagonist just switched. Out of the blue, a definitive main character is selected, and the others are just thrown aside. There was no real significant closure to those discarded, and I felt angry at the typical ending for the protagonist. With that aside, there’s lots that I did enjoy about this book.

I thought the implications of everything Aldous Huxley talked about was very interesting. At one point one of the characters implied that murder is actually an acceptable thing in this future society, painting a thought of such a chaotic world that has also achieved perfection to some.

After reading, if I enjoyed the story thoroughly I could recap it accurately. In Brave New World, I actually can recap most of the story. I can understand most of the events in order of beginning to end and can accurately summarize the book in a small bit of sentences.

Overall, I absolutely recommend Brave New World, especially to high school students. Now is the perfect time to read it. I especially recommend it to Harold L. Richards High School students, purely because they have to read it soon enough anyways.

English II Honors classes are required to read this early on in the semester. By reading it before going into the class you can go on without having the other books you want to read without being interrupted.